It is with a sad heart that I present these photos to you, and with my deepest condolences to Fran’s wife Kasey, daughter Monique, Fran’s family and Fran’s family in the Surfing community. Yesterday a great tragedy hit our community. My friend Francisco Solorio was taken from this life while he was doing what he loved so passionately, surfing. Fran was bit by what was probably a Great White shark while surfing at one of his favorite beaches. Heroic measures were tried by his friends that were surfing with him, but the wound he suffered was too sever, and Fran’s life could not be saved.

Fran was liked by all that had the pleasure of meeting him. He was always laughing and I never heard him say a bad word about anyone. I would see his eyes light up when we would talk about fatherhood, our children and his deep love for his wife and daughter. He was always stoked to be at the beach, even if the surfing conditions were’t perfect, and he would paddle out with the stoke of a man with deep love and understanding of the ocean.

Fran, I hope right now you are shredding perfect waves in Heaven. Rest in Peace my friend, and Aloha Nui Loa……Liebsie

Advertisements

9 Responses to “R.I.P. Francisco “Franny” Solorio”

1. Lardog

I had the GREAT pleasure of surfing with Fran for 20 years. He was always friendly and always stoked. He went the extra mile or more to get great surf. I was stoked to share excellent surf with Fran at two of central coasts most treasured and difficult to access secret spots. Fran new them well and we were always stoked to see eachother put there. Fran was a friend to all, the epitome of what surfing is really all about, and someone I will remember forever and miss dearly. Aloha Fran, Shaka Brah, and may your soul glide gracefully and with style for all eternity.

Lardog

2. The Sanford's

I didn’t know Franny but I live in Cayucos and my son surfs. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Such a sad and tragic thing. I am so sorry for your loss.

3. Chris & Christie Hurd

I think about all the times I was out in our local waters, back in the 70’s & 80’s & how few times we heard about sharks. I rarely thought about the risks of a shark attack. Now it seems like, this time of year is like a game of wet Russian roulette, its been happening every year at this same time now. Life is precious, he lived it like he wanted to, I heard today, from one of the guys at work,that he went to work for Steve Stracken, at central coast playgrounds & there wasn’t enough work for him, so he went surfing instead. Steve was going to go with him, but had to finish up a job, he was working on. I don’t even know what to say, it tragic, pray for his family. Kip…Nambula.

4. Bernie

I stood at the train station Tuesday morning about 0900 and watched Francisco (Didn’t know him) and the other three guys paddle out. Had my board and suit but for some reason decided to go swimming at the pool instead. Kind of strange to think I was one of the last to see him before the attack. I look forward to meeting him and surfing with him after the resurrection in a paradise earth.

5. Mark Boone

I had not seen Fran for quite a few years, and am very sad for his passing, especially for the life that he had, in/ out of the water. However, I can say with certainty, that I was fortunate to grow up with group of people around Orcutt that really lived, and enjoyed life; Fran was definitely among them.

6. Michael Stein

Friend of a family friend leaving his deep condolences to Fran’s family on his death in the ocean. Aloha.